Thứ Năm, 28 tháng 2, 2013

Journalist Nguyen Dac Kien Fired For Questioning Party Secretary


During a national televised program shown on February 25, 2013, Vietnamese Communist Party’s general secretary, Nguyen Phu Trong, stated that those who want to abolish article 4 of the constitution, which guarantees the political dominance of the party, are portraying a “political, ideological and ethical deterioration” and need to be stopped.  Nguyen Dac Kien, a journalist from The Family and Society newspaper, immediately took to his blog and wrote: “you are the general secretary of the Communist Party of Vietnam. If you want to use the word deterioration, you can only use it in relation to Communist Party members. You can’t say that about Vietnamese people.”  He also mentioned that having a multi-party system is good for the country and that embezzlement and corruption by government officials is the more serious issue.  His post went viral quickly and attracted much attention from the online community.  Unfortunately, the attention eventually caused him to be fired from his job at the newspaper.  In an explanation for his termination, the newspaper stated that it Kien was fired for “violating the operating rules of the newspaper and his labor contract,” and that he is solely “accountable before the law for his behavior.”
In a phone interview, Kien said “I knew that there would be consequences.  I have always expected bad things to happen to me. The struggle for freedom and democracy is very long and I want to go to the end of that road, and I hope I can.”  He also posted on his facebook that “whatever happens, I just want you to understand that I don’t want to be a hero, I don’t want to be an idol. I just think that once our country has freedom and democracy, you will find out that my articles are very normal, really normal, and nothing big.”

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét

Bài đăng phổ biến